Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Apricot and Blackberry Jam

Okay, honestly I didn't think I'd be making anything blackberry and blog worthy this fast, but how can I refuse when it just happens this way?
Jelly is always smooth, while jam is chunky and has fruit pieces, in case you had any desire to know the difference. Well originally I was going to make apricot jam. However, while I was pitting and dicing the fruit, my little went to town on the whole fruits. So instead of 6 cups of apricots I ended up with 3, so I added blackberries to make 6 cups of fruit. As far as the sugar, you can use the truvia like I did, or you can just use 6 cups of turbinado sugar.
Apricot and Blackberry Jam

3 cups peeled, pitted, and chopped apricots
3 cups blackberries
Juice and zest of 1/2 large lemon or whole small lemon
1/3 cup Truvia sweetener
1.2 oz low sugar or no sugar pectin
3/4 cup Truvia sweetener
1/2 cup sugar, turbinado (it helps cut the sweetener flavor. If you don't mind it, you can skip this)

  • Combine 1/3 cup Truvia with pectin.
  • Stir Apricots, blackberries, lemon juice, zest, and pectin together and put in stockpot. Bring to a hard boil. Stirring shouldn't disperse boil.May take 10-15 minutes.
  • Add remaining Truvia and sugar and bring to a hard boil.
  • Test the thickness of the jam (To do this I have a spoon in a glass of very icy water. I then dip it into the jam and it should be thick after a moment).
  • Fill into jars and can if you like or keep in the fridge. Makes 2 pints and a partial.
See how chunky! Oh and it is so good. I ended up making another slice of toast after I polished these off just so I could eat more jam. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment