Monday, May 14, 2012

Kale Chips with Lemon Aioli

I know, it is Monday. But I really like Mondays. My husband is generally off Mondays. Usually, we end up doing a project, going somewhere fun, or spend the day lounging. It is fun, because most of the world is busy on Mondays which means when I go to the Arboretum with my family, it isn't crowded. Its actually quiet. Same thing with any place we decide to go. So while the rest of the world whines about how crappy Mondays are, I silently smile and find joy in the least liked day of the week.
Today is actually a really big milestone for my family. We have been Vegan for 30 days with only one screw up each. I was baby sitting late and all they had was cheese pizza for dinner, and my husband caved and had a flatbread sandwich with feta cheese. So I would say our month goal was a complete success! I have learned so much about cooking without meat, how to meal plan when meat is no longer the focus, and how to enjoy new veggies and grains I had never given a chance.
I want to share my reasons for going vegan with the world. Honestly, we have found it to be quite rewarding and are planning on maintaining veganism 95% of the time, and NOT feel guilty when we screw up or curb to a craving that has been nagging at us. Here is a list:
  1. Saving lives... I love animals and the biggest motivator for me is when I learned how many animals are slaughtered yearly. Then we lack the decency to eat the meat and throw away millions of pounds a year that never got eat. 
  2. Health... Chris had high cholesterol this month of last year. His doctor was talking about putting him on Staten drugs and he is only 28. After 3 weeks of being vegan, he was retested and his cholesterol was in the normal range. What an achievement. Doctors words "Keep up whatever you are doing because it is working."  
  3. The environment... People roll their eyes when I say this. Really. But we as humans are outnumbered by livestock meant for slaughter. Which means they are making more poo then us. Only we don't treat theirs and maintain clean water systems. Instead all that waste is sent to cesspools where it accumulates algae and bacteria. Then when it rains, that dirty water leaks out and finds its way into the groundwater and eventually into our drinking water. YUCK.  
There are plenty of other reasons that are motivating factors to make the switch. I plan on doing some reviews of   books I red and will read. That has been the biggest factor in helping my family maintain. Watching documentaries an reading books adds to our knowledge and knowledge is power. So if you want to do something get your butt motivated and do it! Stop wasting time on the couch saying "I wish I could..." because it will never happen that way.

Lecture over. Now for some tasty Kale Chips! These actually do a very good job of replacing potato chips. I know you are thinking "But Andie, potato chips are vegan..." Uh yeah, but also chocked full of fat and will clog your arteries. Kale is the new potato people, get on the bandwagon!
Kale Chips with Lemon Aioli
1/2 bunch of kale
1 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup Veganaise
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste

  • Preheat oven to 400F.
  • Pull the ribs out of the kale. Don't worry about mutilating the kale. Then cut the kale into 2x2 inch strips
  • Place kale and olive oil in a bowl and sprinkle with salt and fresh ground pepper. Stir to coat.
  • Lay out in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Try to keep it thin because if it piles up you will end up with some burnt and some soggy kale. It isn't rocket science but do take a minute to even it out.
  • Bake for 5 minutes and stir it a little and bake a few more if needed. I like mine extra crispy.
  • While that is baking stir together you veganaise and lemon juice and season as you like it.
  • When the chips come out of the oven serve immediately and dip into your aioli. 
These are tangy and salty. I honestly made them two days in a row. By the way, this recipes will only serve two and you may still crave more. At least that's how it goes in our house!


No comments:

Post a Comment